The Articles of Association , Objects and Powers and Company Rules set out what the CDI can do and how it will operate.
The CDI is a company limited by guarantee and started trading on April 2 2013. The Articles, Objects and Rules were updated in 2015.
The Company Articles have been written in a manner that will enable the CDI to apply in due course for charitable status. The objectives of the CDI are:
The improvement of the quality and availability of career development services to adults and young people through:
(a) The promotion of public understanding of Career Development
(b) The development and maintenance of standards of professional practice in Career Development
(c) The provision of advice on Career Development to policymakers, practitioners and other interested parties
Governing documents of the CDI
- The Articles of Association: is the legal document. Lodged with Companies House. The Articles lay down the formal procedures of Governance
- The Company Rules: govern the day to day operations or the Institute. They can be amended by the members at a General Meeting, with the support of the Council and Board.
Details of the Membership Constituencies (2015).
The Constitution of the CDI
The CDI is a membership body, owned by its members, who ultimately decide how it will develop. The members do this informally through discussion and debate, and formally by electing members to the three key bodies. Some of these posts are elected by the full membership and some by constituency.
- The Company Board: manages the business of the Institute. It comprises six Directors elected by the full membership (including President, Vice-President, Hon Secretary and Hon Treasurer) and up to six co-opted ones.
Current Board Members are:
|Virginia Isaac -
|Monica Lemecha -
|President Elect -
- The Council: represents the membership, and advises the Board on policy. It comprises up to 20 members. Two are elected by each of the three professional constituencies, and one from each national constituency. The council also includes the President (who chairs), President Elect, and Hon Secretary, and up to 2 co-opted members.
|Janet Colledge - Career Education
||John Wallace - Scotland
||Monica Lemecha - Hon Secretary
|Kath Wright - Career Education
||Jill Collins - England
||Claire Nix - Board
|Mark Yates - Career Guidance and Career Coaching
||Vacancy - Wales
||Vacancy - President Elect
|Rosemary McLean - Career Consultancy and Career Coaching
||Virginia Isaac - President
- The Professional Standards Committee: is the only standing committee of the CDI. It oversees and advises the Board on the maintenance of professional standards and qualifications. It is also responsible for dealing with complaints and disciplinary issues. It comprises a chair (elected by all the members); one representative from each professional and each national constituency. Details of PSC members and the planned activities can be found here.
|| Liane Hambly
|| Ruth Winden
There is currently a vacant post for Northern Ireland. A nomination is in the process of being submitted and further information on the outcome of this will be made available by end of August 2016.
A longer term aim is to become a Chartered Professional Body, when membership and Professional Register have grown to an appropriate size and we have the administration and necessary quality and support systems in place.
Board Meeting Summary Minutes
CDI Board May 2016 summary minutes; CDI Board August 2016 summary minutes; CDI Board November 2016 summary minutes
PSC Meeting Action Notes
PSC 9th April 2014; PSC 10th July 2014; PSC 7th December 2014
PSC 10th February 2015; PSC 7th April 2015; PSC 9th June 2015; PSC 8th September 2015; PSC 8th December 2015
PSC 1st March 2016; PSC 19th April 2016; PSC 27th September 2016
Council Meetings Action Notes
Summary of the September 2013 Council (London)
Summary of the May 2014 Council (Glasgow); Summary of the September 2014 Council (Cardiff)
Summary of the January 2015 Council (London)
The fourth AGM of the CDI will take place on Tuesday 22 November 2016 - Room B201, SOAS, University of London, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG, at 15.00. The Board and voting members will attend - draft agenda.
The AGM is an open meeting but space for the attendance of non-voting members is limited. Please let the Honorary Secretary know if you wish to attend the meeting or send your apologies to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Papers relating to the meeting will be available for the membership to access on the CDI website in the week commencing Monday 14th November.
Additional Open Meetings
We want to engage with and share information on our achievements and performance for the financial year April 2015- March 16 with the whole membership and to this end there will be two additional meetings:
- A virtual open meeting to be chaired by President Virginia Isaac, with the annual report and financial statements presented by the CE Jan Ellis, on Friday 16 December 2016 at 13.30. Please register your attendance through the training and events section of the website so that you can be sent the necessary weblink.
- An open meeting on Thursday 9 March 2017 at the National Career Guidance Show event in Leeds.